Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is the inability to get and maintain an erection firm enough for intercourse. Having erection problems from time to time is not necessarily a cause for concern. However, when erectile dysfunction is a persistent problem, it can lead to stress. Affect your self-confidence and contribute to relationship problems. Trouble getting or maintaining an erection can also be a sign of an underlying health condition that needs treatment and a risk factor for heart disease.
If you are concerned about ED, even if you are embarrassed, talk to your doctor. Sometimes treating an underlying condition is enough to reverse erectile dysfunction. In other cases, medication or other direct treatments may be needed.
Erectile dysfunction symptoms might include persistent:
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
Physical Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
In many cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by something physical. Common causes include:
- Heart disease
- Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Metabolic syndrome — a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist, and high cholesterol
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Certain prescription medications
- Tobacco use
- Peyronie’s disease — development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Low testosterone
Psychological Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
- Depression, anxiety, or other mental health conditions
- Relationship problems due to stress, poor communication, or other concerns
When to see a doctor A family doctor is a good place to go if you have erection problems. See your doctor if:
- You have concerns about your erections or if you have other sexual problems such as premature or delayed ejaculation
- Have diabetes, heart disease, or any other known medical condition that may be related to erectile dysfunction
- You have other symptoms along with erectile dysfunction.
Male sexual arousal is a complex process involving the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles, and blood vessels. Erectile dysfunction can result from a problem with any of these issues. Likewise, stress and mental health issues can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction. Sometimes a combination of physical and psychological problems causes erectile dysfunction. For example, a minor physical condition that slows down your sexual response can cause anxiety about maintaining an erection. The resulting anxiety can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.
Can Viagra Prevent Alzheimer’s?
Erectile dysfunction drug Viagra could potentially be used to treat Alzheimer’s disease. which has been shown to significantly improve cognition and memory in preclinical models and is presented as the best drug candidate. are comorbidities that are significantly associated with disease risk and those that are not.
Alzheimer’s disease, the most common form of age-related dementia, affects hundreds of millions of people worldwide. The disease is expected to affect nearly 14 million Americans by 2050. There is no approved treatment for it. After that, the research team developed a laboratory model that showed that sildenafil increased the growth of brain cells and targeted tau proteins. The laboratory model could show how the drug affects disease-related brain changes. But Cheng warned against jumping to any hard conclusions.
The study does not show a causal relationship between sildenafil and Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers need to conduct clinical trials with a placebo control to see how well the drug works. Other researchers said the results offer a new avenue for research but do not provide solid answers yet. The ability to reuse a drug already approved for health conditions could help speed the drug discovery process and reach life-changing dementia treatments sooner. Importantly, this research does not prove that sildenafil is responsible for reducing the risk of dementia or that it slows or stops the disease, he continued. to your doctor. And doctors probably would not recommend it as a treatment yet either.
Can Viagra Reduce The Risk Of Alzheimer’s?
What We Know
A drug for erectile dysfunction, which is also used to treat high blood pressure, has already shown promise. To treat or prevent Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Medications could help reduce the risk of developing the degenerative disease.
After searching [the] literature, we found several animal studies showing possible effects of treatment with sildenafil in different preclinical models of AD. Expert and his team analyzed data from more than 7 million people and found that sildenafil (Viagra) significantly reduced the likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
The researchers’ findings, recently published in the journal, suggest it could soon be prescribed to fight dementia. The study looked at more than 1,000 FDA-approved drugs. Find out which of the approximately 1,600 drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are effective for Alzheimer’s disease.
The researchers focused on drugs that target two proteins thought to be markers of Alzheimer’s disease, amyloid, versus drugs that target just one of them. a new theory that simultaneous dual targeting of amyloid may offer better clinical utility in people with Alzheimer’s. He explained that Alzheimer’s disease is a complex disease caused by many factors, and multi-targeted drugs or combination therapies that target more than one disease pathway may offer greater utility in treating the potential treatment of AD.
Treatment of AD
- Using genetic and other biological data, researchers recently concluded that Viagra (Sildenafil) may affect Alzheimer’s disease.
- Analyzing prescription insurance claims, they found that sildenafil prescriptions were associated with a 69% lower risk of Alzheimer’s among claimants
- Laboratory tests on nerve cells from people with Alzheimer’s have supported the idea that sildenafil can treat the disease.
- However, the researchers emphasize that only clinical trials can provide definitive proof that sildenafil is an effective treatment for Alzheimer’s.
Doctors prescribe Sildenafil, popularly known by the brand name Viagra, to treat erectile dysfunction and pulmonary arterial hypertension, which refers to high blood pressure in the lungs.
The drug can help prevent and treat the disease. In Alzheimer’s disease, the most common form of dementia, the death of brain cells leads to progressive memory loss and cognitive decline. Because of the aging of our residents, scientists predict that by 2050 only the United States will have Alzheimer’s.