Lexapro medications are classified under the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) antidepressant medications, which are used for treating mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. The function of these medications is to balance the chemicals of the brain, as chemical imbalances give rise to disorders like anxiety and depression. The effects of these medicines can boost your energy levels and trigger feelings of well-being.
Lexapro is also called Escitalopram, as Lexapro is a brand-name version of it. These are available only on prescription. Escitalopram medications are also sold under another brand name apart from Lexapro. Lexapro medications are approved by the FDA to treat the symptoms of anxiety disorder and depressive disorder.
These are oral medications that must be taken as per the doctor’s directions. Your doctor will prescribe you an appropriate dose based on several factors like age, chronic health condition, the medications you are already using, response to treatment, etc. Depending on your response to the medication, your doctor can either increase or decrease the dose.
Side effects of Lexapro
These are antidepressant medications, and as they improve your condition, they might also give rise to some side effects, which can be of mild intensity. Some people might also develop serious side effects of these medications. Some mild side effects that one might experience are given below:
- Weakness, dizziness, and drowsiness
- Enhanced muscle movements
- Increased anxiety
- Sexual disorders such as a decrease in sex drive and erectile dysfunction
- Difficulties with sleeping (insomnia)
- Pain while urinating
- Digestive disorders such as nausea, constipation, loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Sweating and increased thirst
Some serious side effects of Lexapro medications are as follows:
- Burning pain and irritation while passing urine.
- Vision problems such as swelling in the eye, eye pain, blurred vision, tunnel vision, and aura.
- Sudden changes in mood and behaviour.
- Drop in the levels of sodium in the body, which is indicated by symptoms like headache, confusion, weakness, slurred speech, vomiting, and loss of coordination.
- Acting up of the nervous system leads to sudden reactions like stiffness in muscles, sweating, confusion, high fever, tremors, increased heartbeats, and loss of consciousness.
There is also a possibility of developing the symptoms of serotonin syndrome, which is indicated by the symptoms like:
- High fever and shivers
- Loss of coordination
- Nausea and vomiting
In case of serious side effects and serotonin syndrome, it is necessary to seek immediate medical attention, which will prevent the risk of complications.
Lexapro and erectile dysfunction
Lexapro medications do have some sexual side effects, which affect sexual performance. The side effects include loss of libido or decrease in the sex drive, impotence issues or erectile dysfunction (ED), and ejaculation disorder. Low sex drive can make the arousal difficult. Lack of sexual arousal prevents the sexual response. The person develops difficulties with their erection function and fails to get erections. Besides, some men might also experience ejaculation-related disorders. They may experience delayed ejaculation. Thus, the effects of these SSRI medications can contribute to erectile dysfunction in some men.