Wellbutrin is a brand-name antidepressant medication, which is available only on prescription. These are FDA-approved medications that contain the active ingredient bupropion. Bupropion is categorized under antidepressant drugs that are known as norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs). It is also sold in generic form.
Wellbutrin drugs are available in the form of oral tablets that come in two different forms, which are Wellbutrin XL and Wellbutrin SR. Both these medicines serve the same purpose but have a slight difference and hence they have different FDA approvals. “SR” in Wellbutrin SR stands for sustained release and “XL” for extended release.
Wellbutrin XL is used for treating the symptoms of major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults and can also be beneficial in preventing seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Whereas, Wellbutrin SR treats major depressive disorder (MDD) only. Wellbutrin XL comes in two different strengths – 150 mg and 300 mg. Wellbutrin SR is available in three strengths, which are: 100 mg, 150 mg, and 300 mg.
Wellbutrin side effects
These antidepressant medications can cause mild to serious side effects. The intensity of side effects may differ from one individual to another. Several common side effects can be mild and they may go away after some time, but if they bother you for too long, then you must see your doctor. Some mild side effects of Wellbutrin are given below:
- Night sweats
- Insomnia and sleeplessness
- Muscle pain
- Changes in the sex drive
- Sore throat or dry mouth
- Heart palpitations
- Skin rash
- Digestive issues such as constipation, abdominal pain, or loss of appetite
- Hot flashes
Apart from these, there is a possibility of serious side effects of Wellbutrin medications. These side effects are not common yet severe. They are given below:
- Vision impairment – The person may develop the symptoms of pain in their eye, changes in their vision, and swelling or redness in their eyes.
- Blood pressure fluctuations – The effects of the medicines can increase the blood pressure to dangerous levels, which can be indicated through symptoms such as nosebleeds, headaches, shortness of breath, and chest pain.
- Seizures – The signs of seizures include jerking movement, shaking, twitching, loss of control, staring spells, rapid blinking, changes in smell or taste, and loss of consciousness.
- Allergies – Some people may develop allergic reactions to the medication.
- Mental health issues – Medicinal effects can affect mental health by causing stress, anxiety, panic attacks, psychosis, delusions, and hypomania.
- Suicidal thoughts – The medicine might give rise to suicidal feelings.
Wellbutrin and erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (ED), also known as impotence, is a male sexual disorder, which is characterized by an inability to get or maintain erections. It happens because of the lack of blood supply to the penile blood vessels. The question is, do Wellbutrin medications contribute to erectile dysfunction?
These medications can sometimes give rise to several side effects, including low sex drive (libido) and mental health issues like anxiety and depression. The combination of low libido and psychological problems can certainly cause some difficulties with erection function. The effects of these medications can cause some chemical changes in the brain, which can lead to erectile dysfunction symptoms in some men.